Grilled chicken salad is usually a safe bet for lunch so like most of us, I’ve ordered it countless times and tasted countless versions.
It should always be good…it’s pretty hard to mess up….yet rarely am I blown away. But Proud Larry’s, a fixture in Oxford, Mississippi for the last 20 years, proved to me that a simple grilled chicken salad can still impress. The ingredients are fresh and the chicken is tender and warm. However, it’s probably the homemade Citrus-Cumin Dressing that makes this salad so memorable.
Here is my copycat recipe and I think it comes pretty close to the original. This tasty combination will become a favorite to serve for lunch or dinner.
Proud Larry’s Grilled Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup grapeseed oil (or other light vegetable oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16oz fresh spring greens
- 1/2 Small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 8oz button mushrooms (stemmed and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (lightly toasted)
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 6 Small chicken breast halves (grilled...see note below.)
Go to No-Stick Grilled Chicken Marinade recipe for best grilled chicken for this salad.
||For the vinaigrette, place first 6 ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary adding a pinch of salt and pepper as well. (Oranges and lemons can have different levels of sweet/sour so always taste and tweak) |
||In a large bowl, toss together the greens, red onions, mushrooms and almonds. Shake vinaigrette well and drizzle about 1/2 cup over the greens. Toss to coat well and add more vinaigrette if desired. |
||Divide salad between 6 shallow bowls, sprinkle each with a bit of feta and top with warm, sliced grilled chicken and serve right away with additional ground black pepper to taste. |