This is a great time to try this old favorite of mine..…the blueberries are big and sweet in our stores right now and often on sale too. The recipe comes from Pure Flavor, by Kurt Beecher Dammeier. It is a wonderfully moist coffee cake….perfect for breakfast, brunch or after school snack. Here are 5 steps you can take the night before so that serving it fresh and warm in the morning will be a breeze.
1. Make the topping and store in a zip lock bag in the frig.
2. Wash the blueberries.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together.
4. Prepare the cake pan and store in the frig.
5. Set the butter out to soften.
Otherwise, it keeps well in the frig for 2 days and can be warmed in the microwave (just a few seconds)
A wonderfully moist blueberry lemon coffee cake.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 Large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups milk (at room temperature)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
||Combine the flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in a small bowl. Using a fork, cut the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. |
||Use a hand held mixer or a stand mixer with the flat beater attachment. Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, scraping the bowl once or twice while mixing. Blend in the vanilla and lemon zest. Ad the egg and mix on medium speed to combine, scraping the bowl once. |
||In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. |
||Add the milk and the flour mixture alternately to the butter mixture, beating until smooth on medium speed after each addition. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, top with blueberries and sprinkle with the topping. |
||Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the buckle. |
||The buckle will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. you can also wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to one month. |